Nostalgic Films

Friday, August 17, 2007

National Museum

Muzium Negara (which is National Museum in Malay) is the Malaysian national museum, which is located outside Perdana Lake Gardens in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
It is a palatial structure built in the style of Minangkabau architecture. Located atop a hill on Jalan Travers, it provides an interesting introduction to the history and culture of Malaysia. Built in the style of a Rumah Gadang, its impressive facade of two large murals depicts scenes of the country's colourful past and rich culture.
It was the site of the former Selangor Museum. It was built by the British and Selangor governments in 1898 following the formation of Federated Malay States in 1896. However, during World War II, the right wing of museum was suddenly bombed and destroyed by Imperial Japanese Navy's air strike during the invasion of Kuala Lumpur in 1941.
After the Second World War, the left wing of Selangor Museum was still in use as a historical site. After Federation of Malaya achieved its independence on 31 August 1957, the federal government decided to build the national museum at the old site of Selangor Museum. Construction began in 1961 and completed in 1965. Muzium Negara was officially opened on 22 November 1965.
Displays and exhibits in the museum focus on local history, culture and traditions, arts and crafts, economic activities, local flora and fauna, weapons and currency.
The museum houses various galleries, each with its own theme. The Historical Gallery traces the different periods in the history of Peninsular Malaysia. The Cultural Gallery is a collection of various aspects of Malaysian culture, from common everyday pastimes to important ceremonial customs. Included in the exhibits are a Malay wedding scene, a royal circumcision ceremony, and a presentation on the heritage of the Peranakan community. The Metalwork and Musical Instruments Gallery showcases various objects and utensils from kitchenware and ceremonial ornaments to weapons and traditional instruments of Malaysian music.
Other galleries include the National Sports Gallery and the Natural History Gallery. In the museum grounds are historical locomotives, vintage cars and other relics of transport. Reconstructed Malay palaces from others parts of the country also grace the expansive grounds. The Muzium Negara also holds regular thematic exhibitions featuring specific aspects of life and culture from all over the world.


Putrajaya is a planned city and a Federal Territory that acts as a federal government administration centre of Malaysia moved from the overcrowding and congestion of Kuala Lumpur. However, Kuala Lumpur still serves as Malaysia's national and legislative capital.
The city is named after the first Malaysian Prime Minister, Tunku Abdul Rahman Putra. In Bahasa Melayu, the Sanskrit-derived words "Putra" means prince while "Jaya" means excellent or success. The city has only been raised recently and it is still undergoing massive development: its development was very strongly slowed by the Asian financial crisis of 1997. Visitors notice that the city is built on a scale completely disproportionate to its current population, with a number of major bridges over its artificial river that seem to have been designed solely for spectacle.
To the west is Cyberjaya, a cybercity, also located within the Multimedia Super Corridor.
The vision to have a new Federal Government Administrative Centre to replace Kuala Lumpur emerged in the late 1980, during Malaysia 4th Prime Minister, Mahathir Bin Mohamad's tenure. The relocation is to ensure that Kuala Lumpur will continue to develop as Malaysia's principal business and financial centre.
Putrajaya was founded on October 19, 1995 and is located in the middle of the Multimedia Super Corridor (MSC). Putrajaya is the third Federal Territory of Malaysia; the other two being Kuala Lumpur and Labuan.
The land on which Putrajaya now stands was formerly known as Prang Besar, part of the state of Selangor. Prang Besar ("Great War" in Bahasa Melayu) Estate had been the showpiece estate of the Harrisons & Crosfield plantation group of companies and was the birthplace of the classic "PB86" rubber tree, clones of which were grown more prolifically than any other throughout South East Asia during the mid 20th century. Latterly, the estate contained oil palms and some of the trees are still to be seen in the new city.

Tambak Johor

The Johor-Singapore Causeway (Malay: Tambak Johor) is a 1,056 metre causeway that links the city of Johor Bahru in Malaysia across the Straits of Johor to the town of Woodlands in Singapore. It serves as a road, rail, and pedestrian link, as well as water piping into Singapore. The causeway connects to the Skudai Highway (Federal Route 1) on the Malaysian side and the Bukit Timah Expressway on the Singaporean side. It carries 60,000 vehicles on a typical day, with particularly bad traffic congestion on the eve of public holidays.
The Johor-Singapore Causeway was completed in 1923 after four years of construction. It was partially severed in 1942 during the Second World War, to prevent the Japanese army from invading Singapore. However, it was rebuilt once the Japanese had captured Singapore. During the 1964 Race Riots, the causeway was closed from 22 to 26 July, 1964.
The Johor-Singapore Causeway is the first land link between Peninsular Malaysia and Singapore. The second, called the Malaysia-Singapore Second Link, was completed in 1998.
The new Woodlands Checkpoint, built partially on reclaimed land, was opened in 1999 to accommodate the increasing traffic flow and the soot which had enveloped the old customs complex over the years. The old road leading to the causeway was diverted. The old customs complex, built in the early 1970s, at the junction between Woodlands Road and Woodlands Centre Road closed after the new checkpoint was opened in July 1999, although the motorcycle lane remained opened in the morning until 2001. The new Woodlands Checkpoint also houses the facility for clearing train passengers into Singapore (the Woodlands Train Checkpoint), which was previously at Tanjong Pagar railway station. The relocating of train immigration facility to Woodlands caused disputes between the two countries.

Istana Negara

Istana Negara or National Palace is the official residence of His Majesty, the Yang di-Pertuan Agong (King) of Malaysia. It stands on a 28 acre (110,000 m²) site, located at a commanding position on the slope of a hill of Bukit Petaling overlooking the Klang River, along Jalan Syed Putra.
The Istana was originally a double storey mansion built in 1928 by a local Chinese millionaire, Chan Wing.
It was built in 1928 and was originally the residence of a millionaire, Mr. Chan Wing. During the Japanese Occupation from 1942-1945, it was used as the Japanese Officers’ mess. After the surrender of the Japanese, the building was bought by the Selangor State Government and after being renovated, it became the palace of His Majesty the Sultan of Selangor until 1957.
The Federal Government then bought the palace in 1957, to be converted into the Istana Negara for the newly created sovereign post of Yang di-Pertuan Agong of Malaya which was about to achieve independence.
Since then it had undergone several renovations and extensions. But the most extensive upgrading was carried out in 1980, as it was the first time that the Installation Ceremony of His Majesty Seri Paduka Baginda Yang di-Pertuan Agong was held at the Istana Negara. Prior to this the Installation Ceremonies were held at the Tunku Abdul Rahman Hall in Jalan Ampang, Kuala Lumpur.

Fort Cornwallis

Fort Cornwallis is an old star-shaped fort located on the northeastern coast of Penang, Malaysia. It is named after the late 18th century Governor-General of Bengal, India. Fort Cornwallis was built by Captain Sir Francis Light after taking possession of the island from the Sultan of Kedah in 1786. It was originally built with a nibong (Malay: palm trunk) stockade with no permanent structures, covering an area of 417.6 square feet.
In 1804, the fort was rebuilt with bricks and stones by Indian convict labour during Colonel R.T. Farquhar’s term as Governor of Penang. Fort Cornwallis was later completed in 1810 during Norman Macalister’s term as Governor of Penang at the cost of $80,000.Even though the fort was originally built for the Royal artillery troops and the military, its function historically was more administrative rather than defense. In its entire history, the fort had never been engaged in any battle. Apart from being used for the British Royal artillery troops, the fort was once occupied by the Sikh Police of the Straits Settlements during the 1920s. Today, it has become one of Penang's prime tourist attractions

Tugu Negara

Tugu Negara, literally the "National Monument" in Malay, is a sculpture that commemorates those who died in Malaysia's struggle for freedom, principally against the Japanese occupation during World War II and the Malayan Emergency , which lasted from 1948 until 1960. It is located in the Federal capital, Kuala Lumpur. The Malaysian Houses of Parliament is situated near the monument.
The monument depicts a group of soldiers holding the Malaysian national flag, the Jalur Gemilang, aloft. Each of the bronze figures symbolizes leadership, suffering, unity, vigilance, strength, courage and sacrifice.Every year on July 31, Warriors Day, the Yang di-Pertuan Agong, the Prime Minister and heads of military and the police would pay their respects to the fallen heroes by laying garlands at the monument